Statistically speaking, I think most of us can agree that as far as months are concerned, February is the worst. It is often the coldest month of the year, as we are witnessing with our record breaking low temperatures, the holidays have officially ended and the New Year bliss has often faded by the time the first week of February trickles in. Then, as if it isn’t bad enough, someone decided to put Valentine’s Day smack dab in the middle of the month.
I love Valentine’s Day (it is a great excuse to eat your body weight in chocolate), but it can be a daunting holiday for all parties involved. If you’re in a relationship and struggling to find the perfect gift for your perfect someone, the day seems to approach slowly, accompanied by the theme music from Jaws. For us others out there, the singles club, the holiday is overlooked for its true purpose (which is clearly buying boxes of Nerds with hearts on them and eating gobs of chocolate) acts as a painful reminder of what we already know. The February blues are real my friends, but together, hand in hand, we will overcome this February as we have so many before and here’s how:
- Get Outside: Yes, it is cold, but the cold may be just what you need. There is nothing quite as refreshing as some crisp Colorado air to breath life back into you. Enjoy the expansive outdoors by taking a day trip to the mountains, or simply enjoying a walk around one of our many, pristine state parks.
- Change Your Scenery: February for me has always been a boring month. Nothing thrilling happens and coming off the excitement of the holidays that can be hard to handle. So make an effort to change your scenery. Head to some place you’ve never been before if even just for a weekend. You will see that by taking a breather from your typical day-to-day the rest of the month will just fly by.
- Start a Passion Project: A great way to get through February is by focusing on something else, preferably something you are passionate about. I have it on good authority that you can buy an array of oil pastels and canvases for less than $30. Spend the month painting your dreams, or find another hobby to carry you through.
- Be Social: This one should go without saying. We are social animals– it is an intrinsic quality that we can neither deny nor neglect. Instead of finishing up paperwork or homework at home, go to a nearby coffee shop and sit at the community table. Force yourself to interact with others rather than binge watching NetFlix.
- 5-minute Dance Party: Short, sporadic dance parties have turned out to be my answer to most problems. If you are feeling overwhelmed or antsy, or just need a moment to recompose, turn on your favorite song, turn it up to eleven, and just dance. Getting your heart rate up, singing along to your favorite artists, and letting go is often the exact release you need.
Together we can conquer this February and all Februaries to follow. If you have any sure fire ways to beat your February blues let us know by commenting below or on our Facebook. As always, stay up to date with all news Wishlist by signing up for our newsletter and following us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and our new Instagram.