In the early months, nothing proved more difficult than choosing a name (link to the name story) and choosing a designer. The process of choosing a company name took some time, but eventually resolved itself internally. However, choosing a designer was full of lessons learned the hard way.
When forming a budget, design is one of those things that looks like it can be cut back on, but in practicality it is probably the last thing that should ever be cut. I’m not sure the importance of design can be overstated. Early on we had assumed design would cost us several thousand dollars. By the end of the design creation, it would come to occupy nearly a third of our first-year budget (it would be closer to half of the budget if you include html conversion and web development to bring the design to life). Yet this change in capital focus was probably one of the best decisions we’ve made.
Early on we figured we could save on design by outsourcing the design process. We used a platform called “oDesk” to choose our designer. The field was narrowed down to three designers. The team took a vote and predictably we each favored different designers. Ok, stalemate. We discussed it, throwing opinions back and forth, but with only minor attempts to persuade each other. Then, we looked at everyone’s second choice. A clearer picture emerged. We ended up going with Brian, who was my first choice, and contacted him to let him know.
“Well, I hope he doesn’t suck,” I remember thinking, “because it will be on me.”
Things started off well. The process of logo development went smoothly. We received blue and white images of possible logos, followed by color combinations to help choose the ideal palette. The suggestions seemed to match what we wanted[A1] .
This was back in the Squared days, before the company had been renamed Wishlist. Most of the logos had some play on the number “2” included. We selected a logo and, with the logo complete, we paid the first installment (something like $300), and moved onto the web-design.
At this point things began to derail. Brian, who had been communicative and easy to reach, suddenly became flighty and uncertain. The initial web designs came in weeks late, and when they did… it was obvious something had gone wrong.
What happened to the detailed design brief we had sent? Is that rock climber wearing lipstick? It was everything we had wanted to avoid. A 90’s style e-commerce site laced with obvious stock images. We gave Brian our feedback, and weeks later we received the second attempt (the image above is actually the second attempt).
It was clear we had made a mistake. Perhaps Brian also realized he was in over his head. His emails became ever more erratic. So we ended the contract and chalked the whole thing up to bad luck.
This was one of those early tests that reaffirm the faith in the people you’re working with. Brian had been my choice, but when he failed everyone was quick to accept personal responsibility. There was no blame in the failure, which I was thankful for, and this type of internal accountability would set the tone for how we would handle future conflicts- that is, without blame, only focus on resolution.
But we weren’t finished with off-shore design just yet.